Go beyond the wooden benches and beer crates out front of Nakano Darling’s ever-changing façade and you’d be forgiven for feeling you’d stepped smack through a Tokyo warphole – one where the Suntory whiskey, sake, sochu, umeshu and beer flow as freely as the nihongo and the kind of place in which anyone with a love of good booze and delicious food could lose themselves happily for entire nights… if not days. Ebullient, eclectic and insanely entertaining, Nakano Darling stands for everything that makes the izakaya – or humble ‘stay-drink-place’ – such a central and beloved part of Japanese food culture, and in this little book the team behind the Sydney favourite invite you to take the leap Japan-wards with them, sharing not only what makes the place tick but also, courtesy of the inimitable Ebony Bizys (aka Hello Sandwich), a stunning photographic guide to the suburb after which they are named. Yup, all the food and drink favourites are present and correct (homemade gyoza, karaage chicken and whisky cocktails, anyone?) but really, that’s just a small part of the picture – it’s all about the JOURNEY here. So, who’s up for taking this particular ride with us? Tokyo, here we come!
96 Page paperback
THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY IN PRE-SALE PERIOD WITH 10 DAYS REMAINING
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU PURCHASE:
- Take away books are made available for pre-order for a period of 10 business days.
- In this time, the title needs to meet a minimum pre-order number of 100 copies in order for the book to be made.
- IF pre-order demand is not met, then the site will effectively act as a crowdfunding site and will forward all generated money (minus our $50 listing fee) to the Author/Venue. There are no refunds.
- Turn around time from approval to printed books in mail is 10-12 weeks.
- Please follow Somekind on Instagram or join the mailing list (below) to follow the progress of this title.
IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT MULTIPLE TITLES PLEASE READ:
All books will be sent together once the final title has gone to print. This may mean a longer wait time for your order. If any of the titles do not successfully make it to print, you will only receive the titles which have been successfully funded, with the remaining funds generated going to the venue.